HongKong Trademark Registration
As an international financial center and with a free economic system, low tax rate and comprehensive infrastructure and supporting trade services, Hong Kong attracts investors from all around the world. While enhancing its international reputation, Hong Kong’s industries such as service, financial, textile, electronic, jewellery, logistic, gift and premium, and toys are well known around the world. Lots of investors have registered their trademarks in Hong Kong in order to protect their brands and enhance their competiveness.
Right of Priority on HongKong Trademark Registration
- An applicant may enjoy the right of priority on trademark registration in Hong Kong if he/she has filed an application for trademark registration for the same goods or service with a state party to Paris Convention or a WTO member state within six months before filing such application for trademark registration in Hong Kong.
Matters to be Considered before Filing an Application
- Is the trademark distinctive
- Does the trademark show the distinctiveness of the applicant’s goods and services
- Is the trademark a well known term in that line of business
- Is the trademark the same or similar to other trademarks
- A copy of Identification documents, if the applicant is an individual person
- A copy of Certificate of Incorporation, if the applicant is a corporation
- Clear image of the trademark
- List of goods or services
HongKong Trademark Registration Procedure
- Trademark Search
- Initial Application
- Substantive Examination
- Issuance of Certificate
About 15-18 months
Period of Validity
The validity is 10 years, Six months before the expiration of an application for renewal, renewal is valid for 10 years.